Friday, November 7, 2008

"The end of the world" Ushuaia, Argentina

All I can say is, "absolutely breathtaking." This is like a little swiss town carved out of the Alps, but in Argentina that would be the Andes mountains. The town is pepperred with A-frame houses and cute little gift shops. I arrived late around 7pm and Aerolineous Argentina lost our luggage. Good news is that I had my Artic jacket on-board, bad news the carry-on bag had my clothes for Buenos Aires and Mendoza, the checked bag had my Antarctica clothes. Murphy´s law at it´s best. What to do with no clothes? Go out to eat and then head to the bar to forget that you don´t have any luggage. There was this great little restaurant at the top of Ushuaia called Kaupe which had fantastic food and wine. We both had the local scallops and king krab, which were extremely tasty. The olive oil tasted like butter. Don´t worry, I kayak off the pounds in Antarctica. The local Irish pub had some good home brews. If I wasn´t heading on a boat in the roughest seas in the world, I could have drank much more at that place. We are going to head off to see the "local glacier" and then at 4pm we board the ship to Antarctica, so this will probably be my last blog until I reach Mendoza. My favorite quote "the best thing about the end of the world it only happens once" and Antarctica is a once a life time trip.

2 comments:

Michael Bertoni said...

Yo Dan!

Are you still alive? Sounds like a great trip. Looking forward to some boat stories about cutting through ice and penguins.

TomLemire said...

No update in 12 days... Should we be worried?

I half expected to see you show up on the Today Show, as they've broadcast some features from Antarctica in the past few days.