Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Buenos Aires! Obama Wins!

Today is my first blog in Buenos Aires and my last full day here. I finally found the computer in the Marriott. First things first, the Malbec wine here is amazing and so many different varieties. The 10 varieties I get in a PA state liqueor store can't even compare to a single restaurant's inventory. Yesterday I headed out to a "Guacho" ranch (cowboy), where I experienced more good wine, horeback riding, and a great meat asada (BBQ). Kelly and I are definitely excited to begin the Antarctica portion of our journey tomorrow.

Couple of first impressions of Buenos Aires and I believe misconceptions. As a whole, Buenos Aires is not cheap. There are some things that are less expensive such as cheese, taxi's, and some bottles of wine. Things such as leather, food, tango shows, and bar drinking are more expensive then the tour books let you believe. Kelly was able to pickup a semi-custom leather jacket for a reasonable price, but your definitely have to shop around for the deals. We went to an awesome tango show with dinner and it was $100 /pp. I think Buenos Aires was a steal at one point, but like other destinations (like Cancun or Italy), they got smart.

Recoleta cemetary is really understated like Evita's grave. When you walk first walk into Recoleta, you immediately get the feeling of this is going to be a memorable moment in your journey. I can't really begin to describe the grandure and ornate detail of the tombs in the cemetary. The only other place that comes close is Pere Lachaise cemetary in Paris (where Jim Morrison is buried). Casa Rosada was an amazing sight. You could almost imagine seeing Eva Perone in the balcony addressing the crowd.

Today is La Bocca section, Theater Colon, and Puerto Madero for dinner. We'll see what that has to offer. It is always an adventure.

Finally, technotes for the trip. I have film background, but have been a big fan of the small compact digital camera that fits in your pants pocket. My brother gave me a Nikon D40 with some awesome lens. I've really enjoyed taking great pictures again. The 12-28mm lens was extremely useful in Recoleta cemetary to capture the graves without backing up 30 feet. The "power monkey" charged my ipod great and is recharding now via solar. The power monkey is going to become a stable part of my travel gear. The HG21 camcorder is having mixed reviews. I'll talk about it late. Chau

No comments: